In ENG 131, we’re beginning a unit on advertising. Students are analyzing advertisements and how they rely on/reproduce social norms and stereotypes. Working with outside sources is a requirement for this project; this post includes links to the resources listed on the assignment sheet.
- Killing Us Softly (documentary in class – you will need to login through the library to access Kanopy)
- “Advertisements R Us” by Melissa Rubin (textbook essay)
- Gender Ads Project (website)
- “This is Your Brain on Ads: An Internal battle” (NPR Youth Radio)
- Writing Commons: Visual Literacy (website)
- “Millennials Want Brands To Be More Authentic. Here’s Why That Matters.” (HuffPo article – click the Forbes link too!)